Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Retirement

Now that I'm sure no one is reading this thing, I can start expressing my opinions...

I'm really opposed to retirement in the Kingdom of God. It goes in complete opposition to God's command NOT to worry about tomorrow.

Luke 12:22-28
Then Jesus said to his disciples: "Therefore I tell you, do not worry about your life, what you will eat; or about your body, what you will wear. Life is more than food, and the body more than clothes. Consider the ravens: They do not sow or reap, they have no storeroom or barn; yet God feeds them. And how much more valuable you are than birds! Who of you by worrying can add a single hour to his life? Since you cannot do this very little thing, why do you worry about the rest?

"Consider how the lilies grow. They do not labor or spin. Yet I tell you, not even Solomon in all his splendor was dressed like one of these. If that is how God clothes the grass of the field, which is here today, and tomorrow is thrown into the fire, how much more will he clothe you, O you of little faith!


Here's the discussion I had tonight -
Investment-minded Christian: "Invest money now. Let it accrue interest. Then use it for the kingdom later."
Problem: I am not promised there is tomorrow.
Investment-minded Christian: "But you could spend the interest, and multiply the amount you can do with the money."
Problem: God has work to be done NOW. For example, say I have $1,000, which over the next 30 years I could invest and grow to $10,000. Investment logic says I can do 10x as many projects.
Here are the errors I find in that:
1. Growth of the investment is dependent on the market. Interest money has to come from somewhere, so MY $10,000 is coming from SOMEONE ELSE'S SLAVERY TO DEBT. Money is not unlimited - we can't all earn enormous interest without SOMEONE suffering.
2. God is in charge of my TODAY. I am not even guaranteed a tomorrow. Today, there are people who will die of malnutrition, curable diseases without medicine, and lack of clean water.

So, here's my equation with guarantee of return:
$1,000 - invested in God now = may be used by Him to bring water to a whole village (100 lives), maybe used to bring missionaries to teach children (30 children who can now have a trade)
So, if a life is even worth as little as $1,000... I've way exceeded my "possible interest" - and this will happen whether I live or die.

And here's the other benefit: I am kept in reliance on God for my daily bread, keeping me humble and submitted.

Think about it.

Other topics related to this - brief comments:
Debt - I do believe we need to live within our means - I have HATED being a slave to creditors. I can't wait to be single in my allegiance
Insurance - I do think insurance to care for you dependents is a good place to spend money, so they will be debt free upon your death.

6 comments:

Christy said...

he he writes the lurker :) I won't tell :)

Unknown said...

girl, i still read this thing of course

Kim said...

I read it, too. :P

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with this. I've always felt that way. Glad to know I'm not the only one. :)

Marti said...

Hey, glad to hear from you!

I wrestle with this stuff too. I set my own salary, but also raise my own support, and this has created some interesting dynamics. More freedom in some ways but more accountability too. I love, love, love to give and am happy to live simply but if others look and say I'm not being responsible, taking care of myself for the long haul, etc, I'll get in trouble... I don't feel like I can live entirely according to my own convictions and ideals; others have a say in it. So here's what I do: save and give in equal amounts. $XXX/month for retirement/investment, $XXX/month to joyfully give away!

shantijoy said...

That seems like a great idea.