Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Sex and the Supremacy of God

On Joel's birthday, we ended up at Barnes & Noble (like we do on EVERY date), but this time we were lucky enough to have Tim with us. I settled into a comfy chair to read, while the boys wandered. Unfortunately, they didn't have a copy of my most recent book, Mudhouse Sabbath, by my favorite Lauren Winner. So I picked up two others... Traveling Mercies, by Anne Lamonte, since by best girl Amy (Heath) Rounsavell has been recommending it for 3 years, and Sex and the Supremacy of God, by my favorite pastor in another city John Piper. And as is common on these reading-dates, I read a good chunk of each book... Traveling Mercies is still up for grabs - I don't know if I like it or not, but will finish it to find out.

But Sex and the Supremacy of God was truly enlightening. Honestly, I only made it through about 2 chapters, before I felt like I needed to step back and just ponder these thoughts. This is my common practice with Piper's books... just take sips, like a strong liquor.
Back to the book...
The main theme in Piper's books with titles including "the Supremacy of God" is that all things in earth and heaven exist to GLORIFY GOD. He is above all and all things are FOR HIM!
The fascinating part is how this is related to sex.
Sexuality is designed by God as a way to know God in Christ more fully...
Knowing God in Christ more fully is designed as a way of guarding and guiding our sexuality...
Now to state the two points again, this time negatively, in the first place all misuses of our sexuality distort the true knowledge of Christ. And, in the second place, all misuses of our sexuality derive from not having the true knowledge of Christ.
In other words, the ultimate reason (not the only one) why we are sexual is to make God more deeply knowable. The language and imagery of sexuality is the most graphic and most powerful that the Bible uses to describe the relationship between God and his people—both positively (when we are faithful) and negatively (when we are not).

This is very amazing to think about. I am always excited when I begin to understand more about how complicated we were created. And with the perversion of sex, it is easy for me to wonder about why God created it at all. So this was enlightening for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

that piper guy is something else. i like your insight as well on the Jan 16 post about Matt. 18. I also wanted to thank you for posting a comment. I appreciate when people let me know what they think. I wish more people would. Anyway thank you. Lastly I was wondering if you would tell me how you found my blog, and if you would mind if I put a link to yours?

Felix Landry
www.honeyfromthelion.blogspot.com
felix.de.bergerac@gmail.com